Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

I know I've been rather quiet this Christmas season. I try to keep my blog upbeat and positive, so when things get hard, I usually revert to the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" mantra.

Nothing really catastrophic has happened. Not only has it been a busy Christmas season - as normal - but several things have combined to make it a difficult one. Obviously it was the first Christmas without Kelly's mom. We also have three of the girls' birthdays in November and December, again the first without her. It hurts that she never got to see any of them make it to be teenagers.

We also had our shares of illnesses, misadventures, and an unexpected root canal during this time. Kelly's been really suffering with this tooth, and even after the root canal, it is still hurting him. I tried really hard not to let my underlying feeling of gloom affect the kids and their Christmas time. We kept all of our traditions - Advent readings and calendar, cookie baking, gift exchanges - and we had a great time with both sides of the extended family. The girls seem to all appreciate and enjoy their gifts, so I hope they don't remember this year in a negative way.

We didn't start back to school this week. I like to take 3 weeks off at Christmas, with the first week in January being one of them. I need a week to organize, straighten, rearrange, and prepare for the next semester. I think the activity is helping. It definitely makes me happy to see things cleaned out and organized! The two older girls and I cleaned out most of the garage this afternoon, something that needed doing badly! But more on that later.

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas, and are ready for the new year!

No comments: