Wednesday, February 21, 2007

WFMW: the shower floor

I spent quite a while yesterday afternoon while the girls were down for their reading/nap time cleaning the shower in the master bath. This is hands down my least favorite cleaning chore in the whole house. No matter that the water softener has made the job somewhat easier, I still hate it. But, last year I found a product that makes part of the job so much easier.

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a WONDER on the textured floor of my shower. I prefer the heavy duty version for this particular task to the standard eraser, but either works. Not even bleach gel could get the floor of my shower back to its original whiteness, but this eraser does! Just wet it and use good ol' fashioned elbow grease. The dirt et. al. just comes up off that textured stuff like, well, like pencil erased off paper. Then just rinse the debris away, and voila! A shiny white shower floor.

Now if I could only find something that worked that well and that smell-free on the rest of the shower! The stuff I use on the water spots requires us to run the vent for the rest of the day.

Oh, and I did discover a good book on tape helps the job go alot faster.

Caveat: There have been reports of children harming themselves with these erasers, thinking they are ordinary sponges. But there are chemicals in them. So while my kids do alot of the cleaning around here, these little jewels stay up out of their reach. So if you take my advice on these, please be careful with them around the kiddos.

1 comment:

Candace/Chloe said...

Thanks, Tami, for the tip! Here's what I do for my shower floor: Line the bottom with one to two layers of paper towels and pour vinegar to soak paper towels. I usually let this sit over night and then just buff away in the morning. (The vinegar lifts up all the grime.) It works well but the vinegar smell is strong. I will try the magic eraser to see if I like that better. We use it all the time, but I never thought to use it in the shower! Thanks!