Thursday, February 15, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday, er, uh, Thursday

I just do not seem to be able to post on Wednesdays. On Wednesdays, the girls and I have our weekly history discussion, and I get them started on their writing assignment for the week, plus I'm getting ready for an early dinner so we can make it to Bible Study. I'm also baking something to take to Bible study and it's my laundry day. So I think I'm either going to have to give up WFMW, or type it in ahead of time and wait to publish until Wednesday.

But I'm going to write out my helpful hint anyway. I make breakfast for my family every morning. I can count the times they've had cereal for breakfast in the last couple of years on one hand. We have several reasons for doing this, but usually I get asked, "How?" The secret is preparing the night before.

Many pancake and waffle recipes can be made up the night before and stored in the fridge. Just use a whisk to give it a stir while the griddle/iron is preheating.

Make homemade muffins with the ease of a mix: mix up all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cover and leave on counter. In a smaller bowl, mix up the wet ingredients: the milk, eggs, oil or applesauce (I always do half and half - cuts the fat in half without changing the texture as using all applesauce does), honey, whatever is called for. Cover and put in the fridge. I even get out the muffin tins and my muffin scoop and leave them out. Then in the morning, all I have to do is dump the bowl of wet ingredients into the dry, stir, and start scooping into the tins. And I usually do this at about 5:15 am, so believe me when I say that this requires no brain power to do in the morning. :)

There are also many breakfast casseroles that are made the night before and have to be refrigerated overnight. Sometimes I'll make a coffee cake the night before as well. I also mix up my can of orange juice the night before as well.

With a little bit of planning the day before, the morning can go so much more smoothly. If you have any hints or tips for breakfasts, please post a comment and share with us!

4 comments:

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

You can also make a mega batch(works better if you have fewer mouths to feed) of pancakes and can put them into zip-lock bags for another meal later in the week. Same for waffles, waffles work better cause you can pop them into the toaster and you never knew they weren't made fresh.

Kim said...

So 5:15 is the key. That was one thing I noticed when we were staying with you. Being up early put you one step (at least) ahead of your girls. The problem I have is that Andrew is up and ready to go by 6:00 AM. I just can't convince him that just because daddy is getting doesn't mean he has to get up too. Right now I just can't bring myself to get up any earlier than 6:00!

Tami said...

Actually I get up at 5. It takes me a few minutes to put on my workout clothes, put in my contacts, and make it into the kitchen. But you're right, getting up before the children makes a WORLD of difference. But I can't do it either, esp. when I'm post-partum or sick.

We train our kids to stay in bed till an alarm clock in their room goes off. But that's hard when they are that little.

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

Alarms are great-until they learn to hit the snooze! James is never up at 7:30 anymore like he is suposed to be. He is in charge of the first meal since I am currently trying frantically to get 8 hours(broken up of course) of sleep each night. I really have learned to do lots the night before. My muffins are often even made the night before so that they can just get up and eat em lol. They don't mind thier food not being freshly baked.