Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Dream

When the girls were littler I used to dream of having a maid. And I don't mean just a Molly-Maid-come-in-once-a-week-and-clean type of maid. I used to dream of having my own "Susan" from the Anne of Green Gables series. A live-in full-time, lived to cook, cleaned for amusement, loved my kids as if they were her own kinda maid.

Now that my kids are getting older and the household duties around here are (a) not so onerous and (b) are shared amongst many hands, I dream of having a gardener. Maybe he/she doesn't need to be live-in, but I'd love to have someone keep my lawn weed and thatch free, keep it composted and fertilized, know exactly how and when everything should be trimmed, and grow me a beautiful garden of both flowers and veggies. Kelly and I neither one are gardeners, but I love having beautiful green grass and weeds embarrass me almost as much as dust on the piano. But I have a grey thumb - not quite black but a definite handicap.

The worst thing is that we didn't have any boys. And yes, I know girls can do yard work too, and I do make them help me pull weeds and such. They help with the veggie beds more willingly. But much of yard work just calls for more of a heavy-lifter than I have ever been or expect my girls to be. Kelly mows and edges, but I think he'd rather put down AstroTurf rather than have to do much more to it - it's just not his thing either. :-)

So until we strike it rich and get a full time gardener (ha ha), we'll have to slum along as is, and Better Homes and Gardens will have to wait.

I am doing another veggie crop this year. I learned a few things from last year, so hopefully it will be more successful this year. I'll post more on that at a later date. But I did add in strawberries this year just for fun. My girls are excited about the three whole berries we have growing right now. ;-)

1 comment:

Amy said...

We are trying out a veggie garden for the first time this year. I have already killed the tomatoes. I think it is early enough to have another go at them, though. I am definetely handicapped in this area. My thumb is also very grey!