Monday, July 9, 2007

Countdown

So this is the last week before our school year begins. I'm making final preparations, making sure notebooks are all set up, plans are made, books in hand. Actually, I should be getting my big book order on Thursday, just in time to get them on the shelves.

When I first began homeschooling, a friend of mine gave me a tip that really does help get started back after any kind of long break. The first week back we only do math and language arts (grammar, spelling, and a little writing). The next week I add in something else, this year history and literature. The next week we'll start science and foreign languages. This gives everyone time to ramp up and get used to the load. Math always seems to take twice as long after a break, even though I have had them do some math in the last two months. It just isn't that same.

I have enjoyed the time off, even though I don't feel like I've had much of a break myself. I've had a good time though, especially when our friends, the Schneiders, were here. But it will be good to get back to the structure the school routine affords.

Anyone else starting soon?

3 comments:

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

Umm, we haven't even finished the last school year yet. This week we were able to drop down to only 2-4 subject(depending on which child)and I thought this was great lol. I am also just now getting my curriculum orders in as the boys are finally finishing up some stuff.

Kristen said...

Of course you're starting the new year in early July. :-) I'm with Lora, haven't quite finished last year, probably never will. Oh to be more like Tami!! Miss you!

Tiffany said...

Were going year round and taking a break in December. After I had the baby, Gage took almost 3 times as long to do his school work for like a month. And we had only taken off a couple of weeks. I think I may even review him the month of December to avoid that again.