Sunday, July 22, 2007

I feel like I'm repeating myself

If I say that almost constant headaches have kept me from posting much this week, will I sound like a broken record? Wait, no one even has records anymore - in fact, my kids don't even know what they are - so do we have an equivalent modern expression for this? Anyway, I just haven't felt up to being very creative this week.

My grandfather's health continues to decline. They did determine this week that he is suffering from congestive heart failure. His blood pressure stays dangerously low and the fluid build up in his body is not going down. They altered his medicine last week, and told my grandmother and mother to call them back if he wasn't better by Monday. He's not getting better, so I am afraid he might have to be admitted this week. But if there is nothing they can do for him, I'm sure he'd rather stay home. I can't imagine how hard this is on my grandmother and mother. But I'm really proud of how my mom has stepped in to be there for them. If he continues to do so poorly, I'll probably be making another trip to Abilene soon.

School went reasonably well this week, especially considering the way I felt. This coming week we'll pick up where we left off in May. We'll talk about Rome falling and its aftermath. The question is around here, will it be raining while we are studying again this week? We have gotten several more inches over the last few days, though the sun is shining as I write. I'm convinced this must be the wettest and coolest summer on record in San Antonio, but I don't have statistics to bear me out on this.

If you know me at all very much, you know I love to read. I usually have 3-4 books I am reading at any one time, as well as one on tape/CD in the stereo in the workout room. (This is also why I don't keep up with listing my current reads - I'd have to change it several times a week.) I also tend to get on "kicks" - I'll read a book by a new author and then, if I like it, proceed to read all the books by that author I can lay my hands on. However, ever so often, I go back to some old favorites. Right now I'm on a Jane Austen kick. I love the subtle wit, dry humor, and - I'll admit it - the downright romance of an Austen novel. So if you need a good escape, read one. Or better yet listen to one or tape or CD. I love the British voices they always get to narrate them. They've made some pretty good movies out of some of them as well...

Well, gotta go, I have a copy of Emma I'm going to watch...

No comments: