Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Misc. Updates

First off, my grandfather is actually improving. He is expected to go home from the hospital later in the week. He is breathing better, but a lung function test has determined that his lung function is below 20% now, down from 35% just over a year ago. His heart has been weakened by the arrhythmia, too fast heart rate, and the lack of oxygen caused by the emphysema. Even he says that he is getting to go home "for now." He knows the end is near - whether the end is next week or next month or in 6 months. But he has had 2 very close calls in less than a month, so I guess I am not expecting the end to be far off.

I don't think I am the only one, as both my sisters and their families were in this weekend, as well as all of Granddad's living siblings (5 - one brother and 4 sisters - one brother has already passed away) have been in to see him, one of my grandmother's brothers and another niece, my cousins have been down a couple of times as well as my aunt and uncle. And of course numerous members of their local church family. He was so touched and thrilled to see everyone over the past week or two.

And he is just the greatest testimony to everyone. He is still as friendly and lively as he ever was, pleasant to the nurses, and talkative to visitors. As much as he has suffered in the past couple of months, he has not let it turn him into a crotchety old man. :-)

School is going well. This is the first week we've been in full swing - history, science, foreign language, everything. I have tweaked quite a few things this year - some routines and some curriculum - and it has made a huge difference. I am still contemplating switching grammar books. The ones I am using are designed for private schools - which means there is too much busy work in them. So I am culling down assignments, which has been a big help.

I am still busier than I had been as I have a Kinder and a 1st grader, who need much more hands-on help than I have had to give in the last couple of years. But it has been going pretty well. Hailey is sounding out a few three letter words, with much giggling and inserting of um's that are not in the text, but I think she'll get there. Thursday we are starting science - astronomy! Wonder if I can figure out a way to hang a model solar system from the ceiling of our two-story entry way....

And, if you still have a recipe you feel inclined to send me, please do! I've received some good ones, so keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I do have a couple recipes I plan to email, but with potty-training week and packing for a weekend away, probably won't get done until next week.

Tami said...

That's fine - thanks!