Sunday, July 15, 2007

OK, so is it summer yet?

I still can't get over the weather here this year. I'm not complaining, mind you, just still a little incredulous. After all, it is mid-July and we have not had very many days in the 90's! Usually we are counting how many days above 100 we have! Plus we got rain again last night. I have watered our yard once this whole year - and I really shouldn't have because it rained 2 days later. That'll teach me to not check the forecast! But I can't remember our yard - or all of San Antonio of that matter - being so green for so many months in a row. The only downside, according to the girls, is that "we never get to go swimming." We have, just not nearly as much as normal.

My beloved HP printer/scanner/copier/fax machine is showing signs of dying. I could just cry. So I have been online looking for a replacement. As much as I would LOVE a color laser all-in-one, I don't think it is going to be possible right now. But even a new ink jet will be better than running to Kinko's all the time. I don't see how those of you who homeschool without a home copier do it! I know, I'm spoiled. ;-)

Well, tomorrow's the day. Back to the old grindstone - I mean back to the joys of learning! Yeah, that's right. I'm sure the girls are thrilled. :-) My books are in place, the binders and notebooks ready, just need to sharpen pencils and we are ready. Uh oh, I think I forgot to stock up on Dr. Pepper and chocolate...

I got a call from my mom this afternoon. My grandfather is still doing poorly. He's been on oxygen 24 hours a day for a week now, his ankles are swelling due to lack of oxygen, and he continues to weaken. My mom had called my grandmother this morning to check on them, and my sweet grandmother actually asked my mom for help - a sure sign that things are bad. It seems to be a family trait to refuse to ask for help even when it is desperately needed. I feel so helpless not being able to do anything for him, for my grandmother, or my mom. I'm grateful I got to go see him not too long ago. This is very hard. Thank the Lord that we don't look ahead to the future "as those who have no hope."

Now I am not holding my breath, but there is a chance that Kelly will be going on a two week business trip to Hawaii in September. But I am trying not to get my hopes up that it will work out for me to go. Really, I'm not. Honestly.

1 comment:

Cloth by Kim said...

We set the pool up Saturday and it never did get warm enough to swim. So we sent the boys out Sunday afternoon, and the water still wasn't warm enough! I thought the sun was supposed to be hotter here!