Thursday, February 5, 2009

W.O.W.

A few years ago, I didn't even know what an MMORPG was. You don't either? Well, go here for the encyclopedia version, but it means "Massively multiplayer online role playing game." In other words, it is a game hosted on dozens (or hundreds) of servers that people all over the world can play over the internet at the same time.

A couple of years ago, my husband got into playing W.O.W. - World of Warcraft. I totally didn't understand the lure. I didn't understand the game, the concept, or why you would spend time doing it.

Before too long, my two older girls were watching Daddy play, and wanted to play too. So my husband set up a second account (that my girls use allowance money to help pay for) for them. He also set up strict rules: they can only play with him, they only play on weekends, and they are only allowed to chat with him and anyone he gives approval to. There are others, but those are the main ones. He has filters in place so they don't get exposed to inappropriate language. And since they play on a computer just a couple of feet away from my husband and their characters are playing together, my husband is with them every step of the way.

I was skeptical at first, but this has really proved to be something that the girls and Daddy do together that they both enjoy. (It has an added bonus of a great privilege that can be taken away as part of discipline.) The three of them have really bonded as they've taken characters and shaped them and battled adversaries together. Plus my husband has been showing them how to use technology responsibly.

Last fall, I was growing discouraged because my husband and I didn't seem to be spending as much time together as I wished. Some of that was due to a new baby who took up a lot of my time, some of it was due to Kelly's frequent illnesses and travel for work. I decided to look for something we could spend time doing together. But it had to be something around the house, of course.

I had a crazy idea that I fought for a couple of months. But finally I decided to step out of my comfort level... and ask Kelly if I could create a character on W.O.W. and play with him. Gulp. I didn't understand the game AT ALL. To me, it was a bunch of fantastic looking bizarre characters running around killing even more bizarre looking monsters. I didn't really want to "waste my time" on the computer either. I primarily use the computer as a tool - for communication, running a household, doing research, and for my blogging hobby. But I felt this was something I really needed to do for my husband.

So New Year's week, Kelly had taken a couple of days off, and we got started. We still don't play that often, usually once, maybe twice a week for a couple of hours. But I now have a level 16 human Mage and a Level 10 night elf Warrior. Don't worry, two months ago I didn't know what that meant either.

To my surprise I have enjoyed it. I don't think it is something I would enjoy playing by myself, but it is something Kelly and I do together. It showed him that I am interested in what he is interested in.

So gals, if you are wishing you and your hubby could do more things together, look around and see if there is a way you can get involved in something he is already interested in. Even if you aren't initially all that enthusiastic, chances are you'll enjoy it more than you realize. You're also much more likely to get him involved than in something like ballroom dancing.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I have always LOVED playing video/computer games with Cody. Way to go for giving it a try! We were both really into the RPG Final Fantasy when I was sick one time... We have a few game systems and once in a while I let him win to keep it interesting. ;)

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

Jeremiah have done this for years, first with EQ, then EQ2, and we are currently playing WoW. If it wasn't for WoW we wouldn't have any time together. When I told the kids about your girls playing, they were SO jealous. They have been wanting characters for the last couple of years but we still haven't given in yet.