Wednesday, July 22, 2009

How Quickly Things Change

Yesterday, we received some very unexpected news - and very unpleasant news. My mother-in-law, who was treated for a very aggressive form of breast cancer two and a half years ago, went in for a routine blood work check up with the oncologist. Her liver numbers were way off. A CT scan confirmed that her cancer is back. A biopsy today will confirm whether this is the same type of cancer as last time; but because of the aggressive nature of the tumors on her liver, we are all sure it is the same.

Needless to say, this is hard news for all of us. She was so very sick with the chemo the last time, I hate to think of her going through that again. But she always had such a great attitude last time, and declares that if she did it before, she can do it again. I am thankful for her strong faith and her example to all of us.

Here's her take on it in her own words:
Emotions of all kinds have ran through my head since this morning. Fear---of the known and the unknown. But also strength that I've done this once and I can do this again. Regardless of what we face, God is always there to carry us in His hands. One of my favorite quotes from my last treatment was from Sir Winston Churchill:

Success is not final, failure is not fatal.
It is the courage to continue that counts.

I pray that God will give me the courage to continue.

No comments: