Monday, January 29, 2007

Up to my eyeballs in meat

For the last couple of days I have been cooking alot of ground beef. About every 7 months or so, I go to our local Sam's Club and pick up a case of ground beef, which is eight 10 pound rolls of 91% lean ground beef. These are available to any member, you just have to ask a butcher for it - no need to call ahead.
Since I can't fit all 8 rolld in my fridge, I cut up some of the rolls into 1.5 and 2 pound sections when I get home. I freeze those in quart freezer bags for use in things like meatloaf that require raw meat.
Then I use my new food processor to cut up several onions. Then I brown the meat (seasoned with onions, salt, pepper, and Worcester sauce), either 3 or 4 pounds at a time, and bag them in quart size freezer bags in either 1 pound or 1.5 pound amounts for all sorts of casseroles, tacos, burritos, etc. Storing them flat helps with space conservation and quick thawing. (Thank you to Aubrey R. for telling me about how to store them and season them!)
One of these days I'd like to do a Mega Cooking - like cookathon with the meat and actually put together the meatloaves, the casseroles, the spaghetti sauces, etc. and freeze them, thus cutting down even more on my time later on. However, at this stage in my life with so many little ones around, I just don't have the nerve to try it yet. But for now I am perfectly happy with my freezer full of ground meat ready to go at any time.

3 comments:

dirksgirl said...

you need to tell me when you do this next time! now that I have another freezer I would like to get some w/ you...Costco doesnt have these

Tami said...

Sure - I didn't even think about asking you!

Kim said...

Aubrey,
I used to split this with Candace, Stacey and another friend of theirs. They haven't got any since the last time I was able to pick it up, so you might try checking with them.