Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Homeschooling at the Academy, Part 2

OK, I have to admit that I am a little surprised at some of the reaction from part one of this. Remember, this is not a blow by blow of what my day looked like yesterday. Just an outline of the general routine we have. OF COURSE there are interruptions, discipline issues, breaks for water and bathroom, pleas for help because of incomprehension. From my limited experience with other people's little boys, my girls aren't near as rambunctious (most of the time - they do have their moments), but girls seem to be worse about dawdling, staring out the window, and delaying the inevitable. But my older ones have finally figured out that they aren't going to get out of the work, so it is better just to hoe in and get it over with.

Which leads me to a question I had about not taking breaks. They do take breaks, but usually short ones before lunch. They go get a drink of water and go to the bathroom, or maybe change out loads of laundry, but we keep them short. I've tried a more broken up schedule, school for a while, then a 20 or 30 minute break, but it just doesn't work for my girls. They get into playing and then feel completely oppressed that they are ripped away from it just when "we had a really good story going." They would rather get all the work done and be through with it for the day. We do take a long lunch break both for eating and for piano practice.

Also , remember that this is just the time we have set aside for school. The girls know "school" time starts at 8:30. They know what their assignments are and start going down the list, so to speak. They take however long for each one it takes. But some don't take long. Dictation takes about 5 minutes. Kora's logic exercise (which she considers the most fun ever, she'd do them all day if I let her) takes 10-15 minutes. Spelling usually 15-20, grammar varies widely. Aubrey can often finish in 15 minutes, Kora takes 30-40 depending on the assignment.

Which leads me into the Latin and Greek. I had a few comments about that (although not in the comments section, as SOME people seem to be shy about posting on the blog). Aubrey is going through a very simple, beginning book that is meant for her age. Kora is in her third year of Latin, and she really likes it. She seems to have a talent for the languages, and wanted to do more. This fits in with our classical mindset, so Kelly and I talked last summer about it. We debated on adding Spanish (for obvious reasons) and Russian (we have Russian speakers in our close family, but I couldn't find any Russian curriculum for younger than high school). Koine Greek has a couple of things going for it: it is the language of the New Testament, and would make it easier to learn Russian in the future.

Plus - AND HEAR ME ON THIS - we take it very slowly. She is taking two years to go through the Latin book and over a year to do the shorter Greek book. We have "Greek days" and "Latin days." Mondays and Tuesdays, she spends a few minutes (about 10) going through Latin vocabulary and chants, but does a full Greek lesson (which takes about 30 minutes). On Wednesdays and Thursdays, she goes through the Greek flashcards and says her chants, but does the Latin lesson (same time frame). Even I am not insane enough to do two languages full tilt. Fridays she only does vocabulary cards and chants for both.

One last thing - the Greek curriculum is FABULOUS. It is called Elementary Greek. She is in Year 1. It is very well done, and virtually self-teaching. It comes with a cd that pronounces everything, a textbook, and a workbook. There are three years available; we plan on having Kora take four years (5th through 8th grade) on the three books, since she is doing Latin as well. If you are at all interested in learning Greek or having your child take it, I highly recommend it. Very parent-teacher friendly.

Well, I hope I haven't dug my hole even deeper. :) Part 3 will be more about my routine, I promise. And Kristen, no virtual tomatoes, please. ;)

8 comments:

Candace/Chloe said...

It's okay, Tami......I don't think you're a loon. We're actually doing pretty much the same stuff you are, minus the languages. Cheyenne will be starting Spanish in May. Maybe if I posted my schedule on my blog, it would sound crazier than it really is.

I'll bet most of our homeschooling friends with older kids have similar schedules too. C'mon guys....admit it! Don't leave Tami all alone here! ;-)

Candace/Chloe said...

Hmmm....that Elementary Greek looks pretty good. I checked it out this morning. I just may consider trying it! Thanks for the info!

Kristen said...

I won't throw anything, promise. But I also don't think it would be a great idea for me to post our "schedule" b/c my HSing friends would quit me, and the state would come find me.

Tami said...

We would never quit you, Kris. In fact WHM Mother weekend reminded me all over again how much I miss you guys! WAH!

Besides, remember I had decided a long time ago to post this after I started my blog because of all sorts of questions I got from our families who aren't nearly as familiar with homeschooling as you are. I wanted to let them see what we do, not try to make any one feel like it is the only way to do it, or even the best way. It just works for us.

I think one of the best by-products of HSing is the flexibility - families can customize the learning process to their own family's unique schedule, interests, and situation. But we are the lone HSers in either family, so we wanted to educate them, so to speak, on what we do with our kids all day long. :)

And I was also not intending to start a scheduling contest on blogs, but I hear that SOMEONE is typing up her own version of her homeschool day with boys. LOL. Can't wait to see this one! :)

dirksgirl said...

I have posted my response on my blog!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Hmmm, maybe I should think about writing a Russian curriculum for kids. I don't have anything else to do! ;-) If you just want to dip a toe in, Usborne does have a First 1000 Words in Russian. I love the Russian language.

Tami said...

I've bought that book for my nephew, but not for my own kids. I guess that might be something they would enjoy.

And let me know if you get around to that Russian curriculum!

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

Isn't it great when they finally get it? No more complaining and asking do i have to?, just buckle down and get the work done? James finally hit that stage and it is so nice! Jeremy is another story...one i care not to tell!