Monday, May 5, 2008

God Gave You to Me

Even though I have now given birth to six babies, Kelly and I are always amazed at how much we forget between babies. When I was pulling out the clothes and diapers before Ashlynn was born, we gaped at how little they were. I had forgotten how much stuff a diaper bag needed to carry. We both forgot how noisy sleeping babies are - all the little grunts, sighs, etc. I forget how many diapers a newborn uses every day.

But I am reminded when Kelly and I sit and marvel at this new little person who has come into our family that we often take life, and children, and family for granted. I know I do. I get caught up in the day to day care and training and teaching of all these girls and forget how I felt when I first held them.

Today Lauryn asked me, "Why did God give us parents?" Of course I gave her the standard answer that God wanted babies to have a mommy and a daddy to take care of them until they got all grown up. Which is fine for a 3 year old, but I wonder how much of it is for the child's benefit and how much of it is for the parents'?

No comments: