Thursday, May 3, 2007

How it all started, part 3

Once I began to understand this vision Kelly and I had for our children, I had to step back and ask, what is the best way to go about this? Thus I began to have a change of heart. Instead of looking at homeschooling as "more work for Mama," I began to look at it as God's provision for us to help us achieve this. I was excited about watching our daughters grow and mature. I began to focus on the privilege that we were given in being stewards of these girls by the Lord, for just a few short years. It became imperative to me to use the time wisely.

I also became excited about the thought of being the one to introduce them to Roman architecture, knights and castles, the Civil War, to planets and star systems, art, music, and even the internal workings of animals. I had a built-in opportunity to share my love of learning and books. As I was around more homeschooling families, I noticed that almost without exception they were extremely close knit, because they shared so much together. They enjoyed being together, and other people enjoyed being with them as well. I wanted these things for our family.

I realized that I had come full about, that I no longer wanted to send them away, even to a Christian school. (Personally, I believe Christian school fulfill an important need. I didn't want there to be any ambiguity on that point.) But not only did we feel that we were the best ones to educate them, private school would have been a financial strain for us, perhaps forcing me to work outside the home. This was not a sacrifice we were willing to make. I now saw Christian day schools as a second-best option for our children.

It was a long process, and wasn't as cut and dried as I've made it sound in this reflection upon it, but by the time Kora was 4, I was wholeheartedly on board. I was so excited to start, I could hardly wait for her to be old enough to officially begin. It was quite the change from where I had been just a couple of years earlier, scared to death and fully convinced I couldn't do it. And I have to admit that there had been a great deal of selfishness on my part. I thought it would be easier to ship them off to school every day, and I couldn't wait to "get my life back" once I didn't have kids in the house all day. I say this to show that only God could have shaken me out of this mindset and set me on this path, as it was not my will. Thank God for His infinite wisdom and patience with his children!

Now I won't pretend that there weren't other considerations that went into our choice to homeschool. Kelly and I were often bored silly in school growing up, so there was also the attraction that we could tailor their education to our kids, keeping them challenged; but also having the freedom to slow down when they hit a trouble spot in math or enjoy a particular part of history. But while academic achievement is important, it is secondary to the real reason we have traveled this road. In fact, I would now say it is a side benefit, rather than a reason for it.

And I also don't believe homeschooling is cure-all for all the wrongs of society, the church, or families. Nor do I believe that homeschooling will ensure that our children will be Christians or stand firm in their faith as adults - homeschooling is not salvific. Obviously, salvation through Jesus Christ is the answer God has provided to the world. And even believers are not perfect this side of eternity. However the Bible has given some simple instructions to parents as to the best way to share the gospel with their children, to model the Christian life to them, and instruct them in it. And our family believes the best way we can follow these instructions is to homeschool.

As I look forward to the next school year, I realize that we only have 7 more years with Kora before she graduates from the "Smith Academy," even if she remains under our roof beyond that. It's a sobering thought, and an exciting one. In one way I can't wait to see the woman she grows into, and the other part of me will miss these years terribly. It's also sobering because there's so much I want to teach all our children, to convey and pass on to them. What an awesome privilege and responsibility it is!

May the Lord help us all, be with us and bless us as we bring up the next generation of believers.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I really enjoyed your little family history, Tami. Thanks for giving some perspective and reminding me of how short the time really is. I don't think of your kids as being much older than mine, and yet you only have 7 more years with your oldest?!

We knew since before we ever got pregnant that we would homeschool, and yet as the time draws nearer, I definitely have my fears as it becomes more of a reality rather than just a lofty idea. So I appreciate your testimony of how God provided your change of heart. I know I'll need Him through every minute of this journey---there's no way I feel competent for such a task on my own!