Friday, May 11, 2007

Mother's Day Thoughts

Most of you know that my MIL has been undergoing cancer treatment for several months, and on Monday, the day after Mother's Day, she will be having major breast surgery. In honor of both events, I would like to post a few things that I love about my mother-in-law.

  1. I love the way she accepted me and loved me from the moment Kelly brought me home to meet his parents - we'd been a couple for all of about a week at the time.
  2. I love the fact that she taught me so much about cooking, and didn't mind the bazillion calls I made for several years after we were married with cooking questions.
  3. I love they way she likes to spend tons of time with my daughters, playing, reading, cooking, singing, or whatever they want to do.
  4. I love her laugh.
  5. I love the way she always forgets what's going on when we play 42. :)
  6. I love the way she pours pancakes in the shapes of the girls' initials.
  7. I love the fact that she has so many interests: sewing, quilting, computer-created cards that look "stamped," photography, cooking, decorating, jelly making, guns, playing piano, playing guitar, singing, and of course, the grand kids. She's a very interesting person to talk to.
  8. I love her severe Texas twang.
  9. I love the red hair she passed on to some of her granddaughters.
  10. I love the fact that she is handy around the house - and passed that on to her eldest son!
  11. I am amazed at her ability to take a 3 hour nap and still be ready to go to bed at 9:30 pm. And this was BEFORE cancer and chemo!
  12. I love the fact that she has been such a shining example how go through something as serious as aggressive breast cancer, with grace, honesty, perseverance, and with no self-pity.
  13. I love the fact that the proverbial mother-in-law jokes have no applicability whatsoever in my family. I have never felt threatened or invaded by an overbearing mother-in-law.
  14. I love the fact that when I married her son, she adopted me as her daughter.

Happy Mother's Day, Vickie. I love you.

9 comments:

walkmom said...

Love the comments. I feel the same way about my mother-in-law. Never did get all those jokes.
I'm praying for her surgery on Monday.

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

Very touching. You are truely blessed.

Granny said...

*I* love the way she looks like Kelly in a scarf! Now that is a true resemblance!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

I'm sad that I never got to know Ken's mom. I think we would have been great friends. You are definitely blessed, Tami.

Candace/Chloe said...

Beautiful, Tami!

Debu's Blog said...

Dear...

One question arise in my mind...Why we remember the MOTHER on only mother's day?....why not daily....neverthless...it is most important to remember her on that day...actually words are ending infront of M O T H E R...

Neal Schneider said...

As I read this, Neal looked at the picture and asked why Kelley was wearing a turban. That was a beautiful post. We will pray for her continued healing. Viv

Tiffany said...

Wow, your husband really favors his mother! What a beautiful pst Tami. And happy late mothers day to you Tami.

VLS said...

Now that my blubbering is over after reading Tami's post, I can add my own thoughts. This is the absolute best Mother's Day present I could have been given, especially this year. I feel very blessed to have both of the DIL's that I have. God put both of our sons with the women that could take care of them and for that, we are truly thankful. Poor Kelly. When he was at Permian High School in Odessa (Go MOJO!!!) and I would go to the school for choir booster club meetings or whatever, that's all he heard. "Wow, Smith! You look just like your mom!" What's funny now is that Kelly says I look like my granddad with my 3512 hairs on my head.(And yes, I count them every day!) Love you, Tami Christine Cagle Smith. You're a keeper!