Monday, May 21, 2007

It's still technically spring, right?

We are finally (mostly) recovered from last week's traveling and conferencing. So this week we have a few things on the schedule. First, Kelly is in upstate New York until Friday on business. Second, the girls have to get used to home rules vs. grandparent rules. :) And we start housecleaning.

A while back I gave up on "spring cleaning." I prefer to wait until our long school break - usually most of May and all of June - and start then. This also seems to help the girls from getting too bored or fussy during the break from our normal routine. If they spend the first hour or two every morning after breakfast cleaning or organizing, they seem to argue much less during the course of the day. It's also a magical cure for boredom, it seems. If one of the girls wonders down and tells me, "I'm bored," or "Everything's boring," I just look at my cleaning list, and have many suggestions for activities to occupy their time. ;) That child rarely complains of boredom after that!

So today after we arrived home from dropping Kelly off at the airport, we started on the living room. This is when we dust behind the entertainment center, move all the furniture and vacuum, vacuum baseboards and curtains, dust the fan and blinds, and vacuum out under sofa cushions.

Tomorrow: the kitchen. YIKES!

3 comments:

Neal Schneider said...

Yeah! Good for you! We are also doing some 'summer break' cleaning. This week is washing all of the bedding including all the blankets, mattress pads, etc. That way they can be put away for a month or two. I am looking forward to some quick tips on deep cleaning a kitchen after tomorrow.

Vivian

Tiffany said...

Spring cleaning?!! Ugh. I am not reading your blog again until I have more energy. LOL. I'm still putting off my regular chores, now I'm forced to think of spring cleaning.

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

What? You don't dust/vacuum behind the furniture EVERY week? My image is shattered!