Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Warning: I'm getting on my soapbox

Since we did nothing around the house but get ready for Bible Study tonight, I wanted to rant a little about something.

Monday evening I took the girls out to a few stores looking for, among other things, swimsuits for my two oldest daughters, Kora (10) and Aubrey (8). Kora's suit from last year no longer fit, and the one that now fit Aubrey was a two piece that Kora had worn three years ago because I had given up on finding her a one piece that fit - she's very long torso-ed. Well since then, I've re-thought the whole tummy baring two piece for them, and wanted to replace Aubrey's suit as well.

Kora is also in that stage where she is just about ready to out grow the girls' sizes and move up. So I was already nervous. She tried on well over a dozen suits. They were ALL too low cut. Some of them barely covered up what they were supposed to cover! And some of them had a deep vee so low it looked like something a model on the cover of Cosmo would wear! I would have thought that maybe it was just the way Kora was built except that we had similar problem with Aubrey!

We were finally able to find a suit for Aubrey, but not one for Kora in the stores. I was so frustrated. And only one of the stores I went to had a juniors' section, but every single one of their suits was a bikini! I am very fortunate in that my girls are very modest by nature, so they weren't wanting these revealing things either. ARG! Why would manufacturers design little girls' swimsuits this way?!?

So I ended up buying her suit, for three times as much as I spent on Aubrey's, from Lands End. I never thought I would ever buy anything from there, but in the last year I've bought me a swim suit there, and Kora some dresses, and now another swim suit. Thank you Lord, that there are still some places that don't mind dressing little girls like little girls. Now if they could just send me a lifetime discount for giving them a rousing endorsement...

5 comments:

Candace/Chloe said...

We're right on that soapbox with ya Tami! Ever since Cheyenne crept into the junior sizes, we have struggled to keep her in clothes! It is VERY frustrating when we go out shopping. We pretty much always come home disappointed. Now, with two girls in the big sizes, it's double the pain! God has been gracious to provide for them, whether through hand-me-downs, actually finding something at a store, or making something on their own. Celeste has mentioned several times that she'll just have to open up her own clothing store that only sells modest clothes! I wish someone would do that NOW!!!

Kim said...

I've done a bit of looking (even though I don't have any girls) and it seems that the online stores that have the modest clothes are either 1)Way too expensive or 2)Amish looking. For now I'm just grateful that I have only boys since even the little girls clothing seems to be questionable many times.

Here are two pages with links to online stores....most are expensive, but you may get lucky and find a good deal!

http://www.modestclothes.com/
http://stanosheck.com/Modesty.html

Tiffany said...

I'm with you as well Tami. While I am still able to find modest clothing for 2 year old Piper, I see things in the stores that are her size that I would never let her wear! I have even seen shirts that say "I'm too sexy for my diaper" and such.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Google "modest clothing for girls". You will be surprised at how much there is available out there. Lots of homeschoolers have started these kinds of businesses so they try to keep the prices pretty reasonable. And they aren't all frumpy. :-)

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Oh, another good one is L.L.Bean. They have a t-back one-piece that looks really nice. It's just $20.