Sunday, November 11, 2007

Busy week

Although I am always busy - a lifestyle with 5 (and a half) kids, homeschooling, housekeeping, cooking, church going, kids activities, etc. will do that - this week has been particularly so.

Of course, Sunday we returned from Abilene and my grandfather's funeral. I had a migraine that prevented me from doing too much after we got home. But Monday I hit the ground running. I still had the headache when we got up and Kelly still had a sinus infection, so he made me go to the chiropractor that morning while he was home. I followed that up with a trip to the dentist. I was supposed to have a tooth filled Tuesday afternoon, but since Kelly was home on Monday, I called to see if they could get me in then. They could, but I got a little more than I bargained for.

A corner of my tooth had actually broken off, and a cavity visible to the naked eye could easily be seen (even without an x-ray). What I didn't know, this being only my second cavity in my life, was that he was going to deaden my mouth. And not just with the cream - he actually gave me two shots with deadener in it. Although I was thankful not to feel anything they were doing, having the right side of my face numb for hours had not been in my plan for the day. I felt like my face was swollen past my ear (it wasn't) and I couldn't eat until the effects went away.

I had to go grocery shopping that afternoon, but fortunately by the time I had to talk to the checker I was just about back to normal and not talking like Bill Cosby anymore. That night, I had to take Brynna and Aubrey to the Laurie Auditorium at Trinity University for a presentation of The Sound of Music, performed by marionettes. The girls are working towards their puppetry badge in scouts right now, so this was a neat opportunity that just happened to fit right in with what they were doing. Kelly took the other three to scouts on the other side of town.

Tuesday was Kora's piano lesson, of course, but I also had to start cleaning the house. Kora had a chance to go horseback riding with her scout group that day, but there was no way we could make that. After the girls were sick for so long, followed by Kelly's sinus infection and my allergy attack, the house had been somewhat neglected, especially after being gone over the weekend. And we had company coming Wednesday night. The Prathers, friends who moved away earlier this year, were coming to stay with us for a few days, along with their three kids. So I had some serious catch up work to do Tuesday and Wednesday. I also had some curriculum that I needed to get ready for this week. And Wednesday nights are Bible study and practice for the kids' Christmas musical they are in. I felt a little like my head was spinning.

But the house got clean, the Prathers came, and we have had a great time. I even got the final shopping done for our November birthdays we have coming up. So while it was very busy, it is nice to feel that we got so much accomplished, after what seems like weeks of dealing with nothing but illness. But I have to admit that a laid back, very quiet Lord's Day has been very nice today!

I'll leave you with a picture of Lauryn holding the Prathers' newest addition, 3 month old Melia. And while Lauryn thinks she is a big girl for getting to hold the baby, Melia is evidently not enjoying it nearly as much.

No comments: